Bike Doctor answers your burning, bike-related questions
Do you rent bicycles?
No. Try Cycle BC nearby or Spokes downtown. We may rent bikes in spring 2011. We are happy to rent-to-own and for longer terms such as for visiting ESL students, travellers, and your bike-loving, visiting relatives.
Do you sell used bikes?
No, but our well-built new and sale bicycles start as low as $300, plus they include a free complete tune-up, a one-year warranty, and free minor adjustments for a year.
Do you do special orders?
Yes. We draw on our longstanding relationship with major brand suppliers for your best price and service. Locate the brand and item you need online, then contact us to order it on your behalf. The convenience of online, the assurance of your local bike shop.
How much for a tune-up?
A Complete Tune-Up costs $50* and takes about a day. We inspect and adjust almost everything on your bike to ensure it's is safe and comfortable to ride:
- Drivetrain inspection; wipe and oil
- Brake system adjust & lube (pads, calipers)
- Gearing system adjust & lube (shifter, derailleurs)
- Minor wheel truing (straightening), check rims, spokes, hubs
- Handlebar, stem, headset adjust
- Seat, grips, accessories tighten
- Bottom bracket and bearings adjust
- Wipe clean, tire-fill and 30-day warranty
* Rates effective as of February 2011 and may change. Rates don't include cost of parts or accessories.
Will you fix my flat tire?
Yes. It costs about $16 which includes labour and a standard inner tube. It takes about ten minutes, depending on how busy the store is. No, we won't patch the old tube - but we'll give it back to you so you can re-use it.
Could you work on my bike... right now?
That depends on what you need done. We can usually do flat tire fixes, minor adjustments, and some accessory installations in about an hour. Tune-ups, major adjustments and fussy accessory installs can take longer. Service times vary with time of day and time of year.
What's included if I buy a new bike?
- A bicycle that has been assembled, tested and tuned by a professional bike mechanic
- A basic bike fitting to ensure you are comfortably postioned on the bike
- Free installation of any accessories you purchase at the same time as the bike
- Complete tune-up within two months of purchase
- Free service for up to one year after purchase
- Manufacturer's warranty which we help you with if you ever need it
- An owner's manual, cycling map, and jargon-free advice and information
- A warm, fuzzy feeling from supporting a local business that supports local cycling
What is your warranty policy on new bikes?
One Year Free Service:
We will adjust brakes, gears, and bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, pedals, headset) for up to one year from dates of purchase. perform free minor adjustments, repairs and maintenance (including adusting brakes, gears, and bearings; applying lubrication, inflating tires) for one year from date of purchase to keep your bike working great.
The small print: The warranty does not apply if the bicycle has been subject to accident, abuse, damage, neglect, major owner modifications, and/or commercial or competitive use. The warranty does not apply to normal wear on parts such as brake pads, tires, tubes, chains, cables or grease. Parts needing replacement or adjustment due to normal wear-and-tear, abuse, neglect may be done at standard labour cost. Failure to bring the bike in for its 60-day Complete Tune-up may void this warranty.
We guarantee any part on the bike that we examine and find to be defective in workmanship or materials within one year of purchase. Specfically, we will repair/replace (at our discretion) those defective parts with no labour charge within one year of date of purchase, with receipt.
What is the meaning of life?
To live. Ride a bicycle more frequently and you will live life more intimately. What is the meaning of life to you?